What's in those dusty old boxes?
Perhaps more than you think. Imagine simple treasures, far more valuable than anything freed from an attic and featured on The Antiques Road Show. The "Three Boxes of Liberty" contain powerful tools. A legacy left behind by our founders, in the form of our Constitution, to protect us from tyranny. Tools designed to preserve a life for all Americans to be free to pursue anything that makes them happy.

For me happiness is the pursuit of a life of quiet anonymity. A life where I am unknown to those who are uninvited - you might call that privacy. Rarely does anything of value (like privacy or measurable change) become real without sacrifice, and I've little to sacrifice, except my desire for a life of quiet anonymity and my time. So, I will give those up here to create a "workshop" dedicated to the tools found in the three boxes. Please join me in blowing off the dust and putting the tools to work.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Hijacking the Census - do you have a flush toilet?

Today I received a letter from the U.S. Census Bureau. The letter reads like this:
Dear Resident:

About one week from now, you will receive a 2010 Census form in the mail. When you receive your form, please fill it out and mail it in promptly.

Your response is important. Results from the 2010 Census will be used to help each community get its fair share of government funds for highways, schools, health facilities, and many other programs you and your neighbors need. Without a complete, accurate census, your community may not receive its fair share.
Do you see anything strange in the Census Bureaus remarks? Yeah, that's right - no mention of the two legitimate purposes for the census, as explicitly instructed in the Constitution.
Instead, we are warned that if we do not prepare our form accurately, we will not receive our fair share of government funds. Funny, I wasn't looking for any government funds. I was looking for government to do its job, obey the law (Art. I, Sec. 2, Cl. 3 and amendment XIV, Sec. 2), and stay the heck out of my life.

Art. I, Sec. 2, Cl. 3
"Representatives and direct taxes shall be apportioned among the several states which may be included within this Union, according to their respective numbers... [T]he actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years..."
Now that's pretty simple. Perform a headcount every 10 years for the purpose of distributing congressional seats and tax bills among the states in proportion to the population in each. Period. No mention of highways, schools, hospitals, or other unnamed programs needed by you and your neighbors. No mention of the importance of age, sex, occupation, income, length of daily commute, your name, or your ethnicity.

What to do? Do whatever your conscience dictates. Mine says, "Hey Uncle, don't waste (print) any more money prying into my life." I'll just be entering a single digit number equal to the number of inhabitants in my home, and nothing else.